Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Endless Sands and Lofty Heights

I've been doing a lot of hiking recently. Perhaps it's in place of other hobbies that have been put on the back burner (mostly soccer; I miss you soccer, we shall be reunited soon). But main reason for the plethora of hikes has to do with two things:  feeling like it is obligatory in this very beautiful country and the unique feelings a hiker experiences during tramps (uh oh, Eric is going to talk about feelings again..). Hiking feels very natural. Yes it involves natural settings, but that's not really what I mean. It's human nature to always be nomadic - running from a predator and chasing prey, finding new and better shelter, or just reaching for some unknown new height or discovery. There's a certain serenity I get when I know my feet are moving underneath me, carrying me up a hill or along a seemingly eternal black sand beach. 

Hiking also provides a sense of accomplishment:
  • from a physical perspective. Walking for several hours up and down graded terrain is not just good for development of some huge calf muscles (sick legs, bro), it also is a pretty good cardio workout. I often eat the junkiest food during and after hiking, like the two gas-station donuts during a recent foray to Hunua Falls.
  • from a social perspective. Perhaps no better way to bond with others than to plan and execute a long hike in a foreign landscape. Team building!

The hiking crew at Karekare beach - two Americans and two Canadians. Team North America?

And the next weekend at Hunua Falls. Having company for a hike is extremely valuable. Upper right: when did I become so serious? Probably has something to do with being 28 now, ugh.

  • and of course in pursuit of that next great view. Pretty self-explanatory, so I'll let the pictures do the talking:

Eden? Maybe not, but Marco claimed it was his 'paradise.' Certainly a good spot for a picnic.

Atop a ridge overlooking a secluded black sand beach. My paradise.

Sometimes these views can inspire creativity. Here is a driftwood beach sculpture I call "Driftwood Beach Sculpture." This is art, get it?

Once more, the endless Karekare beach. 

Hikes are called walks here, so I believe any type of longer walk should be included. Here Rhiannon peers from a pier at the Auckland City wharf on a beautiful birthday Sunday.

These still frames, no matter the technological capability of the camera taking them or the skill of the photographer (sorry Marco), cannot fully capture the moment. Which I guess is why you have to go out, do the hiking, and soak in the views and company for yourself.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment