Monday, July 18, 2016

Signs Vol. 2

I haven't been travelling that much recently. As I've now mentioned a few times, the holiday-less, sunless winter in New Zealand is a time when people (pretend to) work hard. But remember back when I was travelling and had a ton of pictures to show for it?

I have a slight aversion to taking photos on a hike or when in a unique/novel location; it's not a phobia of screen addiction, more so that it adds a staged affect to whatever event or view is being captured. For some reason when it comes to signs, I do not feel this way. Maybe it's because the sign is already stationary and staged in such a way that feels less wrong to take a photo of. Maybe I'm just crazy.

Back by popular demand (or is it by my demand to be popular?), here is the second installment of interesting/confusing/funny signs from my various travels around New Zealand, Sydney and Singapore.

New Zealand signs can be pretty descriptive, 

Basically, Piha is a death trap where anything (rocks, cliffs, holes, and water) can kill you.
And there is no shelter or heat allowed.

Good gory detail. "How can we best show non-English speakers this will kill all that is beautiful and good in the world?"

Rabbit murder field ahead.

though often cryptic.

All the best car thieves go through the windshield to get your valuables? 

Going straight from P to R?

And sometimes they just ask too much.

No, you wash car today.

In Sydney:

Sydney - where street crossing requires a more formal dress code.

I'm not mad at the tree, I'm just disappointed.

In Singapore, the signs are noticeably different. While signs in America or NZ can be specific or nonsensical, in Singapore it seems to be ramped up a bit. I can't be certain of the direct cause of this, but I would guess it's related to Singapore's almost but not quite police state (Did you know that Singapore still uses corporal caning as a punishment for offences as minor as vandalism?). 

In any case, the signs in Singapore are woefully overdone, much in the same way that the architecture, shopping malls, public transportation, and (I guess) corporal punishment are overdone...

Public toilets are only for the fanciest people, though I truthfully have no idea how she will do her business with that dress.

In cities/countries not named Singapore, most of these would be guidelines.
Here they are cartoon imperatives.

This one is even better. I particularly like the dog with the giant head and the idea that people would be carrying and releasing tiny turtles. 

Yeah this is the same picture as above, that's how much I like it.
"Don't do anything!"


Ever wondered if Singapore has a celebrity-obsessed culture like the rest of the world?
Well wonder no more!

So it seems all places have strange ways of communicating their very strange laws, rules, and warnings. 

Cheers!

Bonus:

Street art in Auckland often provokes double-takes.

Know your memes, people. 

Interactive signs can be fun too.

Madison Zoo, day 15 - The locals still do not know of our intrusion.

No comments:

Post a Comment